Monday, June 10, 2013

I RUN AUSTIN

Yes, I run Austin and I have the shirts and finisher's medals to prove it. Since my first semester of my freshman year in college I have been running races for the pure joy of it! I started with the Susan G. Komen 5K run, then ran the Austin Half-Marathon twice, and finished my first marathon - the Austin Marathon - this February. There's just something about crossing the finish line and knowing that you just accomplished something so great.

There's a unique inner will-power and mindset that is required of race-runners.

Running races teaches me so much about myself! The volunteers that line the race route who give out water, Gatorade, and moral support can only motivate you so much. There comes a point where their cheers and words of encouragement dwindle and you have to remember why you're running to push yourself onward.

I would recommend running a race to everyone! Start somewhere you're comfortable with (for example, a 5K is 3.1 miles) then work your way up!

Jewel's Random TidBits - Pay attention to how old/new your running shoes are. If they're too old, using them in a race could hurt your shins and if they're too new, you can run the risk of getting blisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment