Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pomelo! Pomelo!

I tried a pomelo for the first time!



It's a strange looking fruit - something between a giant lime and a green grapefruit.

Actually, it's appearance is what brought me to buy it and try it. The fruit tastes like a grapefruit but it is much less tart. I tried eating it the way I eat a grapefruit - by spooning out the fegs - but, the pith in a pomelo is too thick! In fact, the pith makes up a majority of the whole fruit! 

Anyway, after cutting it into quarters, I started wondering exactly what a "pomelo" is. Well, a pomelo is a citrius fruit that is actually an ancestor of a grapefruit! It is native to South and Southeast Asia. Many of the pictures I see of pomelos are of pear-shaped pomelos but mine was very round.. As is expected with citrus fruits, a pomelo is a very good source of Vitamin C. It is also very high in Potassium and is a good source for B-vitamins, iron, magnesium, and protein.

Here are some more pictures:



Go try a POMELO today! :)

Jewel's Random TidBits - I hope (if you didn't know it before) that you learned a new word today: Pith - the white, fleshy part of cirtus fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment